Thursday, May 05, 2005

Exercise on the Stairs

On my website, I talk about cross training. Here's an excellent way to add some cross training to your routine.

Stair Climbing. In our area in Canton, Ohio, there is the Mckinley Monument. You may have heard of it. To get to the monument, you walk up 96 steps. I just added this to my routine, doing this 1 day a week. Basically, after working up to it, I'm up to 8 times up and down the stairs. My goal is 10 times.

There are a lot of people there doing the same thing. Let me tell you, this is a break into my running and, even though it is very intense, it offers some new challenges and really tightens up the calf and thigh muscles. I feel the strength during my runs.

The idea is simple . . . break up your regular routine at least once a week and add another training method. It will give you new results and will keep your exercises from going stale.